Since January 1, 2012, the Marketing & Services (M&S) business segment has been a coherent structure dedicated to the development of TOTAL’s oil products distribution activities (and related services) throughout the world. Present in more than 150 countries(1), M&S relays TOTAL’s brand image to its customers, both private and professional. TOTAL’s highly visible, innovative and assertive lineup of solutions is presented to its customers through large advertising campaigns, substantial R&D expenses and an ambitious digital transformation plan.
M&S follows a proactive, primarily organic, development strategy involving a geographic repositioning towards high-growth areas. This repositioning is accelerated by the sale of certain business activities in Europe (sale in progress of the LPG marketing subsidiary in France and the LPG / commercial sales activity in Switzerland). TOTAL is one of the leading distributors of petroleum products in Western Europe(2) and the leading distributor(3) on the African continent. M&S’ three main areas of activity are:
– a network of slightly more than 15,500 service stations. M&S aims to consolidate its market share in the mature areas of Western Europe and further develop its position in high-growth markets. The network’s market share in Africa increased from 15% in 2012 to 18% in 2014;
– the production and sales of lubricants, areas in which M&S is expanding its partnerships internationally to support growth. The M&S global market share has increased from 4.2% in 2012 to 4.5%(4) in 2014; and
– the distribution of products and services for professional markets: M&S is a major player in the market for jet fuel, special fluids, bitumen, heavy fuel oils, marine bunker and LPG.
As part of its activities, M&S holds stakes in five refineries in Africa, one in Europe through its share in TotalErg (49%) and one in the Caribbean through its 50% stake in SARA (Société anonyme de la raffinerie des Antilles), which is in the process of being sold.
(1) Including via national distributors.
(2) Publicly available information, based on quantities sold in 2014.
(3) PFC Energy and Company data 2014.
(4) Company data.