TOTAL S.A. shares can be held in bearer form or registered form. In the latter case, shareholders are identified by TOTAL S.A., in its capacity as the issuer, or by its agent, BNP Paribas Securities Services, which is responsible for keeping the register of shareholders’ registered shares.
There are two forms of registration:
- administered registered shares: shares are registered with TOTAL through BNP Paribas Securities Services, but the holder’s financial intermediary continues to administer them with regard to sales, purchases, coupons, etc.; and
- pure registered shares: TOTAL holds and directly administers shares on behalf of the holder through BNP Paribas Securities Services, which administers sales, purchases, coupons, Shareholders’ Meeting notices, etc., so that the shareholder does not need to appoint a financial intermediary.
Main advantages of registered shares
The advantages of registered shares include:
- double voting rights if the shares are held continuously for two successive years (refer to Chapter "Rights, privileges and restrictions attached to the shares"). ;
- a toll-free number for all contacts with BNP Paribas Securities Services (a toll-free call within France from a landline): 0 800 117 000 or +33 1 40 14 80 61 (from outside France); from Monday to Friday (business days), 8:45 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., GMT+1 (fax: +33 1 55 77 34 17);
- registration as a recipient of all information published by the Group for its shareholders; and
- the ability to join the TOTAL Shareholders’ Circle by holding at least fifty shares.
The advantages of pure registered shares, in addition to those of administered registered shares, include:
- no custodial fees;
- easier placement of market orders(1)(phone, mail, fax, Internet);
- brokerage fees equal to 0.20% of the gross amount of the trade, with no minimum charge and trades of up to €1,000 each; and
- the ability to view and manage shareholdings online and via the Planetshares app for tablets.
To convert TOTAL shares into pure registered shares, shareholders must fill out a form, which can be obtained upon request from the Individual Shareholder Relations department, and send it to their financial intermediary. Once BNP Paribas Securities Services receives the shares on a registered account, a certificate of account registration is sent to the shareholder, who is asked to provide the following:
- a bank account number (or a postal account or savings account number) for payment of dividends; and
- a market service agreement to facilitate trading of TOTAL shares on the stock exchange.
(1) Provided the subscriber has signed the market service agreement. Signing this agreement is free of charge.