Relationships with individual shareholders
To effectively meet the needs of individual shareholders, the Individual Shareholder Relations department offers services ranging from a dedicated phone line to exchanges between the Group’s executive officers and the Consultative Shareholders Committee (e-CCA), as well as numerous opportunities to meet at shareholders meetings and trade shows.
Shareholders can call 0800 039 039 from France or +33 1 47 44 24 02 from outside France to use the automated service or speak with a representative. Representatives handle 4,000 calls each year and also respond to emails and letters.
A number of meetings and information sessions were also held in 2014:
- The Shareholders’ Meeting held on May 16, 2014 at the Palais des Congrès in Paris was attended by 3,400 people. This meeting was broadcast live and was later available on the Group’s website. Regardless of the form of their shareholding and the number of shares held, all shareholders can attend the Shareholders’ Meeting or, if their shares are held in France, vote via Internet using the Votaccess platform.
- At the Actionaria trade show, which was held at the Palais des Congrès in Paris on November 21 and 22, 2014, TOTAL welcomed nearly 4,000 visitors to its stand. The trade show gave shareholders an opportunity to meet the representatives of the Individual Shareholder Relations department present at the stand and attend conferences relating to major Exploration & Production projects.
- Seven other meetings with individual shareholders were held in 2014: in Antwerp in Belgium, Copenhagen in Denmark, Geneva in Switzerland and Toulouse, Lyon, Nantes and Nice in France. The Group plans to hold the same number of meetings in 2015, both in France and in other European countries.
- The Shareholders’ Circle, which is open to those holding at least 50 registered shares or 100 bearer shares, organized 25 events in 2014 for its 8,000 members. Participants visited industrial facilities and cultural and natural sites supported by the Total Foundation and attended conferences dedicated to better understanding the Group’s businesses.
To help the Individual Shareholder Relations Department continuously improve its services, a Consultative Shareholders Committee (e-CCA) was formed. This Committee consists of twenty members, a quarter of whom are renewed each year. Since 2012, to facilitate exchange and promote efficient, regular interaction, the members of the e-CCA and the Individual Shareholder Relations department exchange information via an online forum. They also met three times in 2014:
- in March, during a meeting with Mr. Patrick de La Chevardière, Chief Financial Officer;
- in May, following the Shareholders’ Meeting; and
- in October, during a visit to the Solaize Research Center (CRES) in Lyon (France).
The role of the e-CCA is to express its opinion on various aspects of the individual shareholder communication policy, including the shareholders’ newsletter, the presentation media used for meetings, the webzine and the “Total Investors” mobile app for smartphones and digital tablets.
TOTAL’s Individual Shareholder Relations department is the only shareholder service in France that has received ISO 9001 (version 2008) certification for its communication policy with individual shareholders. This certification was renewed for a further three-year period in 2013 by AFNOR following a thorough audit of the various processes implemented in terms of communication with individual shareholders.
This certification of TOTAL’s Individual Shareholder Relations department reflects the Group’s commitment to providing individual shareholders with valuable financial information over the long-term.
As part of this quality assurance certification, satisfaction surveys are made available on the Group’s website (total.com, under the “investors /individual shareholders / shareholder relations” heading).
The quality of TOTAL’s investor relations was also acknowledged by trade journals in the form of the 2014 Investor Awards for communication conferred by Boursorama and Morningstar and the Trophée d’Or award for shareholder service presented by Le Revenu.